The Graduate School of Business and Leadership (GSB&L) at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) is the academic home of the Regional and Local Economic Development (RLEDI) Capacity Building Initiative, which is funded and supported by the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs (EDTEA).
Through this partnership, the GSB&L offers postgraduate programmes aimed at promoting RLED research and learning,
building critical thinking in relation to RLED, continuing professional development, creating a professional network of
RLED graduates and strengthening the implementation practice of RLED institutions.
The programmes offered form the academic component of a multi-focused, capacity-building initiative that won the 2014
International Partnership Network’s Global Best Award for the best Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Skills Partnership in Africa.
In 2015 the RLED Initiative was awarded a KZN Top Business Partnership Award in recognition of its partnership with EDTEA.
Postgraduate Programmes Offered
- Master of Commerce in Leadership (LED specialisation) by research
- Postgraduate Diploma (LED specialisation)
About the Programmes
These programmes are aimed at building capacity for RLED through course work and a research component.
The course work programme includes a variety of modules that address Economics for Management, Systems Thinking,
Partnerships, Leadership, Development Economics and Business Strategy.
The Master of Commerce by supervised research includes a research methods module and ad hoc seminars while remaining fully focused on the production of a research project of significance to improve understanding and practice of RLED. The academic programmes include a guest lecture series, informative field excursions and intensive research support during the process of undertaking the course.
The following modules will be presented in the Postgraduate
- Partnerships for LED
- Contemporary Issues in Service Delivery
- Business Strategy and Management
- Finance and Accounting
- Action Research
- Supply Chain Management
- Marketing Management
- Human Resource Management
The following modules will be presented in the Master of Commerce Programme:
- Economics for Management
- Systems Theories and Practices
- Development Economics
- Leading in Turbulent Environments
- Research Methodology
- Strategy and Organisational Dynamics/Entrepreneurship and Economic Development
- Research dissertation (50% of the degree)
- The Masters Programme by supervised research may be completed in a period of one year full-time or two years’
- The Masters Programme by course work may be completed in a period of two years of part-time study.
- The Postgraduate Diploma Programme can be completed in two years of part-time study.
- Masters Programme – The entrance requirement is an appropriate four year degree at Honours level or equivalent.
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme – Any recognised undergraduate degree, Bachelor of Technology or three year tertiary qualification from a recognised institution
Who May Apply?
Participants are typically drawn from provincial, district and local level in government, business and civil society
organisations. Existing LED practitioners based within key LED institutions in provincial government, districts
and municipalities should apply. Members of civil society organisations addressing economic development, and those
working on economic development from within the private
sector, would also find the programme useful.
For more information
Mr Sabelo Gumede
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 1383